Skip Navigation
Oklahoma State University

Advising FAQ

Go to to schedule an appointment with your advisor. If you are having trouble with the star system, you are also welcome to stop by our front desk and make an appointment.  Our office is located in 110 Engineering North


When are you able to see me?

Appointments are available each day. You can make an appointment on the Star System ( or come to the front desk of our office and make an appointment.  If you have a quick question, not related to course planning or removing your hold, consider our FastTrack Advising office.

I’m struggling with my classes.  Do you have any suggestions on how to get help?

There are multiple options on campus. Come by our office (110 Engineering North) to get a handout.  The Math Learning Success Center (MLSC) is on the 5th floor of the Library. Several departments offer help-rooms or course specific tutoring.  The LASSO center is in the basement of the classroom building.

CEAT also offers tutoring in the Student Excellence Center (SEC) and the basement of Parker Hall. This tutoring is offered, free of charge, specifically for students in CEAT. The tutoring is offered by students in our college that have taken the courses you are taking and have earned an ‘A’ in those courses. A schedule of those hours can be obtained in our office at the reception desk.



I need to drop a course.  How do I do that?

Come to our office or contact your advisor.  More information can be found here.  If you are dropping a course that is required for your major; a math, science, or engineering science course, your advisor can give you information on how that drop will affect the courses you can take, and suggest some options to avoid delay of graduation. It is also important to remember that you may have a requirement on the number of hours you must take each year for a scholarship. Check with the Scholarships and Financial Aid office if you are unsure of a requirement and need clarification.


The course you told me to take conflicts with another, or isn’t available.  What should I do or take instead?

Consult your flow chart, Plan of Study, and the rest of the information from your advising appointment to look at the other courses your advisor recommended. Make an appointment on the Star System ( to see your advisor. Your advisor can help you figure out any replacement courses, or if necessary seek permission for you to enroll in a closed course. Permission to enroll in closed courses is very rare, and you should not plan on that permission being granted. You can watch the enrollment system for other students drop the course or you can take another course that is open and fits into your plan of study.  You may also add yourself to the waitlist for a course.


Can I email or call my advisor with my course selections and have my enrollment hold removed?

No. CEAT and OSU policy states that you must meet with your adviser every semester prior to your hold being removed.